Friday 10 January 2014

Mental Age

Sometimes, I'm mentally young. Sometimes, mentally old. I feel mentally young because I like acting silly at times, I'm still into games, obsessing over tv shows/musicians and doing fun things, but I feel mentally old at times because I enjoy talking politics, future and just serious things in general as well as maintaining as a serious attitude.

Then I came to the realisation that age doesn't always fit into a binary. Hobbies and interests do not always have an age limit, well there are always exceptions, but still.

I can be eighteen, and still enjoy things typically for "younger people" and also "older people". I may be intelligent but that does not stop me from being silly. I may be a political enthusiast, but I enjoy also discussing tv shows and whatnot, and you get the idea. It's actually quite fun.

This also comes to the point where maturity is not always defined by age. I guess it's not always abnormal to say "you're quite intelligent for someone your age" but don't be surprised either. Don't be surprised I'm only eighteen but that I have big ideas for the world generally, other than life. Do not be surprised I enjoy discussing political events, and definitely do not be surprised I enjoy talking about what is usually perceived to be "adult things". However, I do not understand when people say "you enjoy things for younger people, or you're so immature for being like that." No. Do not be surprised when I enjoy doing fun things. Do not be surprised when I like games, and definitely do not be surprised when I like to act young every once in a while. Life is short, enjoy it. Also take it seriously.

I guess, you'll find that you're more at peace when you remove the binary from most things in life.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog :) Keep doing what youre doing :)
    I'd really appreciate it if you visited my blog :))
    http://lifelation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete