Friday 5 April 2013

Islam, Women and Liberation

I'm really not sure where to start with this, but lately so-called "feminist" groups or 'rad-fem' (for a more colloquial term) groups have been protesting against the oppression of women in the Islamic world, or in other words, The Middle East and North Africa. Now, what the problem here is not protesting against oppression of Muslim women, but rather those feminist groups consisting of NON-Muslim women speaking over us, and dictating what is oppressive, without seeking our opinions on the subject.

I could post pictures from these protests, but I'd rather let you see for yourself. Just search "FEMEN protests", or "Topless Jihad day". Now, what the issue here is what they're protesting about. As an Arab Muslim, I do admit there being forms of oppression against women but this is NOT because of Islam, but the same cispatriachal system in the Western World, as well as it being a cultural problem. However, what their problem is they class Muslim women wearing hijabs and such as "oppression". Trust me, if Islam did oppress women, I would not be Muslim.

Yes, Sharia Law is sometimes harsh against women but do keep in mind that because of the cispatriachal system, Sharia law is misinterpreted. Islam gives a woman her rights. Islam gave women their rights, way before the Western World did. Islam is pro-choice, but abortion is still illegal in many countries. Actually, there's a surah in the Qur'an called "Al-Nisaa" which means "the women", but I don't see any of the Bible books named after women? Even Maryam (Mary) has her own surah in the Qur'an, and Jesus is just a prophet. Islam gives women the highest status.

What these NON-Muslims are essentially out to do is "liberate" Muslim women. No, thanks. We can liberate ourselves, and believe me, no white women can speak for me, for who I am, and what I believe. As well as how I live my life. Islam liberates me as a women. Also, how the hell is protesting topless going to liberate me as a Muslim women in any way? This neo-colonial feminism is very problematic. Believe me, if you believed in freedom for women, then you would allow them the freedom to wear whatever they want, and make the choices they want. If you believed in the freedom of women, then you would be out there protesting abortion being illegal, or the hijab ban in countries like France etc. Not targeting Islam, or Muslim women as a means of so-called "liberation" from their own "male-dominated, oppressive culture"

This is also applicable to men in general. Muslim, and non-Muslim. We do not want you to liberate us, whether it be through going to war to save brown women from "evil Islamist groups", or telling a Muslim women how to act. We can act for ourselves. We're well aware. They do not represent us.

Thanks to these Muslim[ah]'s for speaking out against it.

For extra reading, click here [1] [2], here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment