Sunday 19 August 2012

Multiculturalism

You know, I'm really glad I live in a multicultural society. Although the downside is the racism that comes with it.

But no, it is a great experience. You meet all these new people that are from different countries, and different nationalities etc. It's awesome. You get to try different food, and learn new things about different countries and cultures, while still being able to feel at home due to the diverse multiculturalism.

I mean, thanks to Australia, I get to eat meatpies and such. Thanks to the Arabs and the Turks, I get to eat Kebabs. Thanks to the Mexicans, I get to eat Tacos. Thanks to the Spanish, I get to eat Churros!

The thought of not knowing what Churros are haunts me. If I lived back home in Palestine, I never would have tried them for obvious reasons but being born and raised in a society like this is great.

I know, I talk too much about food, so let's move on. Diversity! Diversity is always great. We have a special event at school called Carnivale. It's a day where each ethnic group, there being Australians, Middle East, Pacific Islanders, Asians, Africans, Northern Europe, Latin and the Mediterranean and Sub-Continent. (I hope I didn't forget anyone) Anyway, they each have a room where they decorate it, bring in food, whatever to put their culture on display, and it's actually quite fun. I FINALLY GOT TO TRY A FORTUNE COOKIE! Anyway, yeah that's quite brilliant.

I think what inspired this post was that ad for that segment on Today Tonight about Multiculturalism taking over.

Oh, I also love the different accents! Not for the accents, but for the sake of imitating them. I think Indian is probably the best to imitate. The best though is when you meet a Brit, and you get to hear them speak, although one of my friend's dad is Scottish, and his accent is particularly quite strong, I couldn't understand a word.

I'm not sure what I also like about Multiculturalism, but it's definitely a positive in society, minus the racism.

No comments:

Post a Comment